Update September 2018 on the never ending story of Cockpit curtains. The window curtains still had to be kept in place to the curved wall, so I finally added a lint and velcro. Now its held perfectly in place if you take some effort to close them properly, including pleading. Off course no one in our Motorhome is that organized….
So most off the times it looks like this…..
Another update is the longer deviding curtain rail as we had to much opening on the sides on the OEM. Bought an plastic piece for 10 euro, which was bendable in the curves and it worked great.
Update november 2017 final pictures (see also other update post)
The time has come to start thinking off the cockpit curtains. The original pieces were from a very stiff cotton fabric and therefore did not hang very nice. It had single pleads with a back fold to save space when opened, which I like. Material used is only 1,25 times the total length again to save space when opened, sewed in pvc runners (dislike those, will change them for fold hooks and runners)) velcro tape used to keep the curtains on the curved sides. Important for me is that the curtains look nice, organized and sleek both opened and closed.
The darkening fabric was a leftover piece I bought for 5 euro plus foldhooks and rail runners for 12 euro. This is just enough to remake the original curtains, however 1,5 the total length would have been nicer.
For those GMC-ers who like to know how I made them I will try to explain here but I can tell you that I had to count and count over and over again and did not understand it at all until I actual did it.
- Cockpit original curtain rail = 162 cm (2x) plus overlap under mirror = 26cm (2x 13cm)
- Total curtain rail plus overlap = 175cm + 1 cm for velcro tape (2x) = 176cm
- start with 2,5cm dan add pleads of 3cm every 10cm = 16 pleads 45cm + 2,5 for the end
- Original fabric = 230cm wide x 93cm high (2x)
Re-used the curtain tape (did not want to go to the store again…).
Here are some of the better examples of GMC-ers I found online.
Here is the situation before. Hope to post the after photos soon when the rails are hanging….